A major part of the M.F.A. program consists of performance work outside the classroom, in Brown/Trinity Rep productions and onstage at Trinity Rep.
Productions take place throughout the year, and may be directed by students, faculty, members of the Trinity Rep Company and staff, or by invited guests. Performances take place in Brown/Trinity Rep studios, as well as in the Pell Chafee Performance Center, Trinity’s flexible space in downtown Providence. Occasionally student productions are also presented in one of Providence’s small non-Equity theatres or in a performance space on the Brown campus. Third year directors’ thesis projects are presented with full design and production support.
Acting students are given opportunities to perform in Trinity Rep productions. A combination of performance and understudy assignments provides enough work weeks for all acting students to become members of Actors’ Equity Association upon graduation.
Actors and directors in the M.F.A. programs become an integral part of the life of Trinity Rep, which has received local, national, and international recognition consistently throughout its 54 years of existence. Many Trinity Rep actors, directors, and designers have worked continuously with the company for a decade or more, and a number of them serve on the program’s faculty. The resident acting company has developed a reputation for a vigorous rehearsal and performance style that is informed by crucial awareness of the role of the audience in the theatrical event.
Brown/Trinity Rep productions in the 2016–17 season included:
• Alarum devised by Alexis Green and the company
• The Physicists by Friedrich Durrenmatt
• The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare
• The Winter’s Tale by William Shakespeare
• We Go Round and Round adapted from La Ronde by Arthur Schnitzler
• The Children’s Hour by Lillian Hellman
• A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
• Civil Sex by Brian Freeman
• Our Country’s Good by Timberlake Wertenbaker
• A Map of Virtue by Erin Courtney
• Mud by María Irene Fornés